Wednesday, April 16, 2008

broo ha ha

got myself in a little broo ha ha over at ravelry. had joined the adhd group -- seemed kind of fun, but then they started a thread about home schooling. I got into a ah hem, discussion, about the merits and cons of, as well as my feeling that being a mom doesnt make you a teacher. boy did I hit a nerve. Oh, well, I guess a spirited discussion is good for the bloodpressure and circulation. So, i wandered away from the adhd crowd, Im afraid theyre a little too intense for me. I mean, Im just in it for the knitting, you know???

2 comments:

ckknitter said...

Hi Sweetea - I teach elementary school and have seen both sides of the homeschool scene. Sometimes we get students who've been homeschooled and they are miles ahead of most of their peers, and sometimes they're years behind and it falls to us, who are under state/federal mandates to get them caught up. I'm sure you've seen both sides, too!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Catching up on the MIL group from Ravelry, found this post, and had to reply. I'm married to a HS teacher (36 years), have a daughter who just graduated from college who was diagnosed with ADHD in 1st grade, and a grandson who is "schooled at home" through a state-run virtual charter school.

I've said as a grandma, I'm thrilled with the results, but as a taxpayer, I'm appalled at the money being spent to provide one student with the same supplies available for a whole classroom!

Add to this, I'm the MIL to the teacher/mom, so I really have to balance my comments!!!!! Trying to be supportive, while seeing that my grandson is far behind in social skills!

/thanks for the chance to express myself!