Sunday, July 6, 2008

hatteras knit bits




back from vacation ( insert big frown). Im never ready to leave the outer banks, but this time was made a little easier by the prospect of a stop at a lys -- Knitting Addiction -- and a quilt shop -- Funtastic fabrics --- in Southern Shores NC.





Good hubby agreed to the stops and to "be good" while I oohhed and aahheedddd and spent more money than I should...



Vacation was good. i go to the outer banks for peace, and i felt it coming over me on Wednesday of the first week there. it was hard for me to go away this year, it was the first time away from my youngest daughter since her serious illness a year ago and my son has recently become engaged and a parent to be, so driving almost 400 miles away was tough for the most involved mom in the world....


but, the obx won and i learned to let go a little bit of my kids problems. its hard, I have always seen it as my job to fix things for them -- i know I cant anymore and i have to allow them to falter and trust that they will pick themselves up...



So I knitted. Made a pair of socks for val, a kimono for first grandchild to be, started a green sweater for same grandchild.... And I read "friday night knitting club" which if you havent read you should skip the next sentence. i GOT SO MAD I THREW THE BOOK ACROSS THE ROOM. maybe Im just getting old but i dont get all warm and squishy when someone dies -- i wanted her to live, damn it.

knitted on the beach, in the truck, on the deck, on the dock. it was glorious. all of the pieces I made have the essence of obx in them, and will therefore spread peace and joy whereever they are worn!

At the yarn stop I purchased the needles for Taresa's lace socks, yarn for Jena's hospital booties and some beautiful red handdyed yarn for a scarf for taresa and a purple blend for myself for a shawl. All, also infused with hatteras charm and good luck.

I hope to return to the outer banks later this year, but will probably have to wait til next summer. I hope this 2 week fix was enough.

No comments: